The ACM Multimedia conference is the flagship conference of ACM SIGMM. It provides a great opportunity for researchers to present their work, get acquainted with the work of others, and discuss with colleagues both junior and senior. To promote participation of students in the conference events and in special student-oriented activities, SIGMM will fund participation grants for several students.
The travel grant is meant to support personal attendance of one student at the main conference. Students selected for the grant will be paid JPY 40,000 (approx. 500 USD as of July 2012) for support of their travel expenses. Students will have to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation.
- Students being the primary authors of an accepted paper in the main conference or workshops will be given preference in the selection process.
- Students selected to attend the Doctoral Symposium and Open Source Software Competition will be given high priority.
- Students without papers accepted for publication at ACMMM 2012, but involved in research closely related to the topics of ACMMM will be considered.
- Female and minority students’ applications are especially encouraged.
- Each accepted paper at ACMMM2012 must be covered by at least one author’s registration. Only covered papers will be included in the conference proceedings. The student travel grant does NOT waive this requirement.
- The papers accepted at the Doctoral Symposium Program or the Multimedia Grand Challenge Program (only if the first author is a student and the presentor) can be covered by a student registration. All other papers need ACM member or ACM non-member registration for being covered.
- Please see conference registration page for details.
To apply for the grant, the students must submit the necessary materials through the website (https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/STG2012/) under the track “Student Travel Grant,” no later than
August 31st September 15th (23:59 UTC -8), 2012. Students are encouraged to have the applications sent as soon as possible. Applications arriving after the deadline will not be considered. The notification date is September 30th, 2012. Please include the following materials (in the PDF format) in an application:
- a certificate from a faculty member of the student’s host institution (preferably from academic/dissertation advisors);
- an application letter from the student with the following information:
- the faculty’s full name and email address, student’s full name and email address;
- the name and nationality of the institution;
- the student’s academic status and expected year of graduation;
- whether the student is a (co-)author of a paper that was accepted for the main conference or if the student contributes to any other part of the conference;
- if the student is a (co-)author, the paper title, author list, the student’s contribution to the paper, and whether the student will present the paper;
- the reason for applying for the grant, including the expected benefits that the students will have from attending the conference, research significance, the funding status of the student, and the budget of the student travel;
- a brief statement by the student about his or her current research interests and research accomplishments to date, or a link to his/her CV.
- a one-page abstract written in English by the student, summarizing a broad view of his/her research work with motivation, problem description, approach,
Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “ACM MM 2012 Student Travel Grants.”
• Application submission deadline:
August 31st September 15th, 2012
• Notification: September 30th, 2012
We look forward to receiving your applications!