1. Was Nara affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami?
No. Nara is located far from the epicenter of the earthquake.
The map of the damage from the earthquake can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/packages/flash/newsgraphics/2011/0311-japan-earthquake-map/.
2. How far Nara is located from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant?
Nara is located approximately 538 km (~334 miles) far from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.
3. When is the crisis of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant resolved?
According to the plan proposed by TEPCO, the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, the crisis will be resolved in nine months, i.e. Jan 2012. Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13107846
The status of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant can be found at The Tokyo Electric Power Company’s website: http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/index-e.html
4. Is it safe to travel to Japan?
Soure: ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization):
- “Current Situation For Travel and Transport to and from Japan”（News release: April 14, 2011）
- “Current Radiation Levels in Japan and Travel Advice”（News release: April 1, 2011）
- “No Restrictions on Travel to Japan”（News release: March 18, 2011）
Soure: IATA (International Air Transport Association):
- “UN Confirms Safety of Japan Operations – No Recommendation for Passenger Screening”（News release: April 1, 2011）
- “No Restrictions on Air Travel to Japan”（News release: March 19, 2011）
Soure: IMO (International Maritime Organization):
- “Current situation for travel and transport to and from Japan”（News release: April 15, 2011）
- “Current radiation levels in Japan and travel advice”（News release: April 1, 2011）
- “Shipping advised to comply with relevant NAVAREA warnings off Japan”（News release: March 24, 2011）
- “No Restrictions on Travel to Japan”（News release: March 21, 2011）
5. Is there any information source on radiation level in Japan?
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism: http://www.mlit.go.jp/page/kanbo01_hy_001428.html
- Environmental Radioactivity Level (By prefecture): http://www.mext.go.jp/english/incident/1303962.htm
- Radiation Level at Airports in Japan: http://www.mlit.go.jp/koku/koku_tk7_000003.html
6. Are there any concerns on the food contamination in Japan?
Radioactivity-contaminated foods have never been on the market in Japan under
severe control of the government. The government has been inspecting the
radioactivity level of agricultural and fishery products.
Last updated: Jul 08, 2011.